Best Practices

Companies have varying corporate environments and cultures.  Here are some HR best practices that all HR teams can benefit from by implementing, regardless of their unique company culture and structure.

Feedback should be Frequent

Best HR Management practices ensures employees and managers receive frequent feedback.  This way, employees are better equipped to make immediate changes and feel more engaged in their work. Additionally, managers are more involved in the daily work of their team, which gives them a better understanding of progress and allows them to hone in on details that are often overlooked when feedback occurs with less frequency.

Appreciation should be Plentiful

Employees need paychecks, but money is not the sole motivator. One survey found that 75% of employees feel an award or verbal thank you increased their confidence in their skills. Even the simplest sign of appreciation increases worker satisfaction and retention.

Career Development is Key

When it comes to training and development, employees place high importance on obtaining more skills and growth within the organization. In terms of non-financial motivators, over 75% of employees are looking for career progression.  The remaining 25% consider Career Development as the basis of a strong work life balance.

Compensation Plans

Choosing a sales compensation plan is an important decision to make for any organization. The right plan will adequately motivate employees to help you achieve your overall business goals, without putting your profitability at risk.
There is no one-size-fits-all compensation plan. Each business owner will need to consider numerous factors when deciding on how to compensate sales employee. However, the studies prove that incentive plans drive behavior so best practices tie a percentage of an employee’s overall compensation to activities which are most critical to strong job performance.

Training and Onboarding shouldn’t be Ignored

Training is a major component of bringing on new talent.  Onboarding programs normally last between 3-9 months. Techniques now include classroom style instruction, job shadowing, quizzes, and team game playing.


The culture of your company is important in determining who will apply for jobs, what your customers say about you, and how engaged and dedicated your employees are to your cause and mission. If your company has not given real thought to the experiences of your talent, no matter their relationship to you, then there is a chance you are missing out on amazing employees and partnerships.

Management Listening Skills

When it comes to giving employee feedback, we often think about the frequency with which we should be giving criticisms and compliments to our employees, but satisfaction should be something that both leadership and subordinates play a part in achieving. Solicit positive and negative feedback periodically via employee satisfaction surveys, or by asking direct questions about concerns and improvements in performance reviews.

Flexibility for the Real World is Mandatory

In one study, 89% of HR professionals reported an increase in retention after implementing flexible work arrangements. Employees are human, no matter their level within your organization. That means that even the entry-level employee will need the flexibility to leave the office early for a doctor’s appointment or to make it to the DMV. Above all, grant your employees the comfort to approach their leaders with the surprises life throws at us all.  HR flexibility programs include virtual offices and flexible work schedules.